- It is an Act of the Parliament of India enacted on 4 August 2009.
- It is under Article 21A of the Indian Constitution.
- Article 21A and the RTE Act came into effect on 1 April 2010
According to the act :
- The State shall provide free and compulsory education to all children of the age of six to fourteen.
- No child shall be liable to pay any kind of fee or charges or expenses which may prevent him or her from pursuing and completing the elementary education.
- Compulsory education casts an obligation on Government and local authorities to provide and ensure admission, attendance and completion of elementary education by all children in the 6-14 age group.
- It provides trained teachers, i.e. teachers with the requisite entry and academic qualifications to educate children.
Act prohibits :
- Physical punishment and mental harassment of children
- Screening procedures for admission of children
- Private tuition by teachers
- Running of schools without recognition